Hello world. Before we launch into book reviews, short stories, and general musings about how the written word has the power to explore the unknown, let’s start with a bit of an introduction to the author. Here is ten random facts about me.
1. I love the thriller/action and science fiction genres the best in both books and movies. They’re also my favorite genre to write in, to the point where my friends have taken to calling me the “adrenaline junkie” in our writer’s circle.Contrary to popular belief, I love action not just for its heart-pounding thrill, but how it can make a break or character. It can reveal their deepest flaws or their most inspiring, redeeming traits, and its a wonderful catalyst for character development as well. But yes, the hailstorm of bullets, brutal knife-fights and rubber-burning car chases certainly don’t hurt.
2. I love webcomics, for both the exposure to new, unique styles of art as well as the art of visual storytelling. I usually find them on a site called Tapastic. Some of my favorites include Strays, the Gamercat, A BETTER PLACE, King’s Folly, The Property of Hate, Unsounded, Sarah’s Scribbles, Tethered, Stutterhug, KISMET, Backlash, GhostBlade, the Sunken Garden, and the World of Wishes, among others.
3. My favorite movies in the action or scifi genres are Pacific Rim, the Bourne Identity (and consequent Bourne movies), the Martian, and Batman Begins (as well as the rest of the Dark Knight trilogy). Favorite Disney movies include Lilo and Stitch, Big Hero 6, the Jungle Book (2016), WALL-E, Moana, and Mulan. I’m a huge fan of all Studio Ghibli movies. Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Power Rangers S.P.D., and Kim Possible were my childhood, but today some of my favorite TV shows include Psych, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Yona of the Dawn, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Criminal Minds, Arrow, Nikita, Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Stranger Things.
4. Batman or Superman? Batman. All the way. Though I’m actually a bigger fan of Marvel than DC in general, if I had to choose between the two. Oh, and Team Cap. All the way.
5. As I’ve now demonstrated my love of action, I’m sure it’s no shocker if I told you that I’ve been practicing a martial art called Choi Kwang Do for about eleven years now and am currently a third-degree blackbelt.Watch out.
6. As for video games, I’m a casual player, as I tend to read or write more often. I play Star Wars: Battlefront on my PS4 on occasion, but my one true love will always be Pokemon. I started out with Pearl, went back to play the gameboy games, never ended up completing Black or Black 2, and then resurrected my Pokemon interest with Pokemon Y. I’m currently playing Pokemon Moon and loving it. Lucario and Darkrai are my favorite Pokemon, and my favorite starters are Greninja and Incineroar.
7. I’ve got an adorable one year old grey tabby cat named Alphonse (after Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) who has the silkiest fur known to man and a cichlid fish named Ivan the Terrible.
8. I met my two best friends in a short story workshop online writing course offered by Duke University about five years ago, and we’ve met up in person and spent weeks together several times now. Having your best friends in other states may be hard at times, but we make it work.
9. I’ve helped my local library branch win the Battle of the Books competition for two years in a row now (this past year our team got a perfect score), out of the five (?) years I’ve participated in. The past three competitions (in order) allowed me to meet amazing authors such as Marissa Meyers (the Lunar Chronicles), Rick Yancy (the 5th Wave), and Lynn Matson (Nil).
10. I hope to one day become a creative writing professor.